First of all, CONGRATULATIONS on your first embroidery machine! It's such a fun and exciting purchase. You have what you need to make personalized gifts, embroider for your family and maybe even start a business.
We get asked a lot of questions, so we thought a page dedicated to new users would be a handy tool. We've included basic information below to help with selecting the right stabilizer, thread, needles, and embroidery designs. Plus, how to applique and so, so much more!
The very basics without any details...
- Stabilizer is KEY ~ if your item isn't stable, the quality of the stitchout will suffer.
- Stabilizer - Poly Mesh & cutaway are best for t-shirts and polos. Tearaway will probably be your "go-to" stabilizer for nearly everything else. Note: add a sheet or 2 if needed to make your item more stable.
- Thread - 40 weight polyester thread is the standard thread.
- Needles - 80/12 sharp & 80/12 ball point will be the most used needles.
- Embroidery designs - pay attention to the details ~ especially size. Don't buy a bunch of designs that you can't use because you don't have the right size hoop.
Basics that our customers wish they had known when they were newbies ~ great tips!
- Thread Color Changes ~ Click HERE
- Thread Tension ~ Click HERE
- Pull Compensation ~ Click HERE
- Density ~ Click HERE
The basics with links to more information than you probably have time to read :)
- How to Download Designs ~ Click HERE to View/Print/Save a step-by-step guide.
- Stabilizer -
- Types of Machine Embroidery Thread ~ Click HERE
- Tips & Tricks Document ~ Click HERE
- Design Thread Colors ~ Click HERE
- Thread Storage ~ Click HERE
- Needles ~ Click HERE
- Embroidery designs
- Choosing Font Sizes ~ Click HERE
- Resizing Designs ~ Click HERE
- Resizing or Modifying Designs with Wide Satin Column Stitches ~ Click HERE
- How to applique